Friday, January 21, 2011

On the Move!

This week we will make our final journey to our “forever home”.  Of course we have to pick one of the coldest weeks of the year to move, but I keep telling myself it will be worth it!  When we moved to Austin this summer we had no intentions of moving again so soon, but Dana took a job45 miles away which made us decide to move sooner.  And…to be quite honest, the house we are in right now kind of sucks!  I hate renting to begin with.  I hate throwing my money away.  I hate it even more when you think you are getting into something decent based on what the owner tells you and then it turns out he was wrong or misleading.  UGH!  But enough about that!  I am moving! 

We chose a small little town not far from where I grew up.  It is only about a 15 minute drive to Dana’s job and about 25 minutes to my job.  Ava goes to a family daycare and Morgan will have 35 kids in her entire grade.  She starts school on January 31.  We have visited the school, the superintendent’s office and Dana made a trip to the Post Office and City Hall today.  It seems as if everyone knows us already and knew that a new family with children was moving to town!  Everyone has been very kind and welcoming, just as I remember growing up in a small town.  I know there are opportunities that larger towns have to offer, but nothing compares to being known personally by every person you encounter during the day.  You become a person, not just a number.  This is what I want for my girls. 

The process it took to get to our new home was a little stressful, but it’s almost over.  Yes, I said “almost over”.  You see, we were scheduled to close on the house today, which was first delayed from 10 am to 2pm and then cancelled at 4:30 (after we had been sitting and waiting for 2 1/2 hours).  But, because of a HUGE issue with our lender, they made arrangements for us to move into the house this weekend with papers to be signed on Monday.  It’s a long story, but it has all worked out and we get to move!  No more drafty windows, no more unplowed gravel roads or county highways, no more way too high electric bills, no more LP tank, and no more chickens!!  (Yeah, they were cute for the first month or so!)  I am so not a farm girl!  Glad we discovered that through renting and not buying! 

My new house is a new construction.  Never been lived in.  Blank canvas.  White walls.  It will need lots of paint!  It will be a work in progress for the rest of my life and I will love it!  It will probably have white walls for awhile until I can decide what to do with each room.  The first to get painted is the kitchen.  The appliances arrive on Wednesday so the walls will be painted this weekend.  The kitchen will be red.  The next rooms to be painted are Ava and Morgan’s rooms.   Morgan wants turquoise and Ava wants hot pink.  They will each have a chalkboard wall in their room!  Can’t wait!  And in a couple weeks I will host our first party in our new house.  Ava turns 4 tomorrow and Morgan turns 9 on February 16. 

This is a picture of my house off the realtor’s web-site.  I will post more as we get settled.  It has 4 bedrooms and 2 baths.  I’m sure it’s still not big enough for all our junk, but I am great at organizing and using all the available space I can find!  Besides all the stuff that’s in my house now use to fit in a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house! 

660-18

Now let’s hope for a quiet weather week, no snow and warmer temps would be great!  Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. Ok- I already love your house and yard. I totally agree about your thoughts on small town. I grew up in one and loved it. Austin has been a big change for me. Thank goodness the kids are adjusting!

    ReplyDelete